Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: Mac OS X and freeciv

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Mac OS X and freeciv
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 22:41:03 +0200

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:51:40PM -0700, Andrew Hershberger wrote:

> I'm using Mac OS X and would like to be able to use freeciv.  I've been able
> to install necessary files with Fink, and then start civserver inside of
> Terminal.  However, I'm stuck at the point where directions from the Fink
> description of the package say to "open a terminal window inside an X
> environment, and at the command prompt type 'civclient' to start the client."

Yes, you need to start an X server.

> How do I open an X environment?  Does it have something to do with the large
> "xfree86" file Fink installed?

Most definitely, that is the X software.  X provides a graphical user
interface - on most Unix systems, you only have a command line without it.
MacOS/X has an alternative graphical user interface called Aqua.

I'm sure there are tutorials online on how to run X on MacOS/X, which
I do not use.

No.  www.freeciv.org has a pointer to an Aqua port, but it is unfinished.

--
Reinier