Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2002:
[Freeciv] A call out to all you documenters out there

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] A call out to all you documenters out there
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:20:10 -0500

As many of you know, we all swiftly approaching a new release, and
with a new release comes new people into the community who have never used
freeciv (or even played payciv) before.

Unfortunately our user guide for the client is horribly out-of-date.
see http://www.freeciv.org/manual/client.html for the bad news.

I would like to get some volunteers from the community to update the guide.
I need volunteers to create some screenshots of the various dialogs
of win32 and gtk1.2.
I need volunteers to contribute some text to explain how to do various
things (e.g. how to operate the map in the city dialog).

There also needs to be updates to the graphics in the manual
http://www.freeciv.org/manual/game-*.html
(Daniel Speyer: perhaps you could do this?)

Again, volunteering does _not_ make you responsible for the entire
documentation project. If you want to contribute just the intro, or just an
explanation of the create nation dialog, or how to do diplomacy, please
this thread and post revisions of the guide to the ftp site when updates
of individual sections are posted). I'll attempt to keep the webmasters on
board so that when major sections are considered complete, they are put up
on the website without delay.

If somebody doesn't beat me to it, I'll post the gtk screenshots to the ftp
site this weekend to get the ball rolling, (but please, somebody beat me to
it :)

Here is a chance for the non-coders to get involved in a critical aspect of
freeciv.

-mike