Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: New CivII-like tileset ready!

To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: New CivII-like tileset ready!
From: "Marco Tarini" <mtarini@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:00:37 +0200

Thanks a lot Christain Knoke!

I'm sorry to have to add that meanwhile I noticed that the provided nuke.png
is in a wrong format (it lacks the required 4th alpha channel). Could you
sobstitute the correced one in the proper place?

You'll find it at "www.ib.pi.cnr.it\nuke.png"

thanks also for re-editing the readme file, it is clearer and more correct
now. Only: the "convert.exe" file is not taken from any "John Cristy's
Imagemagic", it is just a very simple program I wrote and compiled myself
(for some reason the standard "pnmchange" from libpnm refused to work in my
installation of that library).

Finally, in the meantime I made a version for unix, that outputs
xpm files (and has ready images in .xpm format for non-MicroProse, non
copyrighted ones). Only I could not test it, but I'm somewhat confident that
it should work. (This one requires netpbm installed on your system already,
of course). Also, it has the same structure of the other win based version,
so it should undergo the same chages as the other one, in the readme file.
As a last note, I could not find a way to chmod the 'script.bin' file as
executable. Anyway, if it can be useful the file
can be found at "www.ib.pi.cnr.it\civ2gfx_xpm.zip"

a question: when freeciv goes GTK+2 , the unified multiplatform version will
understand: only xpm tileset, only png, or both?
Also, png is a very open standard, and very efficient, very widespread, very
copyright free, very flexible and very portable. Is there any particualr
reason why xpm was chosen instead?

marco