Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Dependency Error

To: Martin Thompson <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Dependency Error
From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:41:54 -0400 (EDT)

> I thought I'd try and upgrade my freeciv 1.11.4 from the redhat
> distribution version, but it seems that 1.11.4 is what is available on
> the freeciv.org site (I'm new to Linux and don't fancy compiling 1.12.0
> just yet - maybe in a week or two). I'm using rpm to download and
> install it, but it is asking me for:
>
> libreadline.so.3
>
> So my question is, from where can I get the package?

Well, I'm assuming you're using Redhat 7.1, because freeciv 1.11.4 is what
is shipped with that. In which case, you'll want to install the
readline2.2.1 package (despite the name, it's actually got
libreadline.so.3). If you don't have the CDs or a mirror nearby, here is a
link:

http://mirrors.acm.jhu.edu/linux/redhat-7.1/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/readline2.2.1-2.2.1-2.i386.rpm

This mirror is in the US, but the package is only 88 kbytes so it shouldn't
be too painful regardless.

> Rpm -q libreadline tells me that it isn't installed on my system,
> assuming it is telling me the truth (I'm not clear with rpm if I have
> to be in the correct directory when I use it, and I wouldn't know which
> directory that may be).

No, rpm -q <whatever> should work no matter what directory you're in,
because (for better or worse), the RPM database is a system wide thing.
However, the package containing libreadline on Redhat is called readline,
not libreadline. :)

OT: Handy rpm tricks. "rpm -qa | grep <string>" can help you track down the
exact name of a particular RPM (for example: "rpm -qa | grep readline" will
show all packages with readline in their name). Also "rpm -qf <file>" will
show the name of the package that owns the file, like "rpm -qf
/usr/bin/freecell" will print "gnome-games-1.4.0.1-1mdk" on the system I'm
using right now.

-J