Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: [ICS] yet another suggestion

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [ICS] yet another suggestion
From: Mathias Uhlmann <Mathias.Uhlmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:49:41 +0200

Hi!

As far as I understood, You suggest that the population distribution is nearly
Gaussian centred around big cities and
to punish players that don't have such a distribution. I have several
arguments against this and will simply list them.
  - you don't know the width of the distribution, in reality this width will
differ very strong
  - additional (in reality) you have the effect of overlapping distributions
(Saxony is one example of this, but it should also be visible in
    England, the Netherlands, Belgium, the Ruhrgebiet (Ruhr area or so)), in
every area that is settled very dense, you will never see the
    Gaussian distribution
  - the idea of a urban centre surounded by smaller cities and villages is in
(Free)Civ already included, the cities in the game are not like
    cities in reality but more like whole areas, with small towns and
agricultural areas around the big city
  - your method is very complicated, even if the first two arguments would not
apply, it is very hard for the player to implement a strategy
    your solution would need. I always try to grow all cities to the limit.
There are no Gaussian distributions there.
All in all I don't think this is applicable. I would rather favour the other
suggestion made recently, make settlers more expensive to build and
cheaper to upkeep.

Ciao.
Mathias.