Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: new client old server possible?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: new client old server possible?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:12:20 +0100

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 08:08:12AM +0100, Niels Weber wrote:
> I thought, it should be posssible to use a new client (cvs snapshot)
> with an "old" server (1.11.4). But as I now tried to connect (over
> network), it wasn't really possible.

This may be due to a bug in 1.11.4.

> In the terminal (from where I started the client) I getmay messages
> like:1: Received bad government id 1 in handle_ruleset_government1:
> Received bad government num 1 for title1:
> Received bad unit_type id 0 in handle_ruleset_unit()
> 1: Received bad building id 0 in handle_ruleset_building()
> 1: Received bad nation id 0 in handle_ruleset_nation()
>
> Any idea what's going wrong? Or is it just impossible?

The bug causes Freeciv packets to be fragmented.  As a result, the
receiving end may try to interpret input as a packet that really is
data in the middle of a packet.  That is what you may be seeing.

If it still happens with a CVS server let us know;
it's supposed to be fixed.

--
Reinier