Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: ICS : Are map resources part of the problem?

To: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: ICS : Are map resources part of the problem?
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:26:29 -0600

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 12:43:32PM -0500, R. Miller wrote:
> Resources. I estimate that FreeCiv's maps make possibly twice as many
> resources available to cities than do Civ2's maps, especially whales and
> combinations of whales and fish. It is not unusual for a city in FreeCiv
> to have 2 or 3 whales; this I found was rare in Civ2.
[...]
> Location. From memory, I recall that locating a city in Civ2 was a
> challenge; finding the right site with the right combination of
> resources to assure sustained growth was difficult.
> In FreeCiv, I find that I can plop a settler almost anywhere, build a city,
> and it will survive. This leads me to believe that ICS is favoured by
> FreeCiv's overly-bountiful maps.

        Civ2 explictly placed resources in a repeating pattern.
        It is predictable, and obvious if you use the "reveal whole map"
cheat option.  Many strategies for Civ2 explicitly relied upon this.

        Freeciv should place resources more randomly.  This does make
"jackpots" more noticeable in productivity through a game.  But it should
reduce some of the obvious patterning.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."