Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2001:
[Freeciv] how to start a game (was:)

To: martin.isaksson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] how to start a game (was:)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:09:54 +0100

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 07:04:08PM +0100, Martin Isaksson wrote:

[reordered for legibility]

> > On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:14:16PM +0100, Martin Isaksson wrote:
> > > Hi. My FreeCiv does not work for unknown reasons. I got it from Mandrake
> > > 7.2.
> > > When I start it it just loads and then nothing happens. Ever..
> > > Why? I am trying to download the latest version now. Probably doesn't
> > > work with my luck...
> > > I know next to nothing about gaming with linux so please explain it in a
> > > way that a 10 year old would understand.

> > Read the FAQ.  Read the Help menu.
> > Then complain about the FAQ and the Help menu; corrections are welcome.

> I did read the FAQ! And I did not find the answer there. And which help menu?
> I can't see anything that resembles Freeciv...

OK.  I am not sure what your problem is.

Perhaps you do not realise that Freeciv is strictly a client/server
game.  There is no such thing as starting Freeciv, you start the
Freeciv client and/or the Freeciv server.  When you start the Freeciv
client, you have to connect to a server - a dialog box tells you to
connect somewhere.

Games and computer players run on the server, human players
connect to them using the client.  I don't think you're connecting
to a server.  You can start a server from your own command line
(the command is 'civserver') or play on a remote server (use the
'Metaserver' tab or button).

When you are connected, a second possible problem appears: the game
won't start and you need to type the 'start' command into the server
before it will start.  (Or on public gameservers, you can type
/start in the client.)

Please tell me where exactly you get stuck and I'll try to improve
the FAQ to mention this.

--
Reinier