Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Civ

To: Zachary Alexander <zalexand@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Civ
From: Nathan Lovell <lovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:35:03 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Zachary Alexander wrote:

> Have you considered porting a version of FreeCiv to the Palm
> pilot?  I'm sure it would be incredibly popular, as I've already seen a
> great deal of interest and support for Civilization in the Palm
> community.  Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions,

Well, since it doesn't seem like anyone else is going to answer your
question, I will (and I'm not an expert by any means).

I agree that a Palm version of FreeCiv would be great, but as far as I
know nobody has tried it.  I can think of three possible reasons:

1) The FreeCiv code, in it's present form, would run much too slowly on
this generation of Palm processors to be much fun.

2) There haven't been means until very lately for a real internet-based
multiplayer game on the Palm platform, which is where much of the emphasis
lies (multiplayer, I mean).

3) Nobody has had enough time beyond their current involvement in the main
source code body.  (See response to other recent requests for ports to
various systems).  There's a lot to be done before any port of FreeCiv can
be considered "finished" (if such a concept really exists in Open Source
projects), and that's where most of the efforts are right now.

I would be interested in working on a Palm port, but have no previous
experience in Palm OS programming, and have several other commitments
right now...

Hope that answers your question (accurately).