Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: how to go about hacking the code

To: vibhu.rishi@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: how to go about hacking the code
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:13:41 +0100

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:46:21AM +0530, Vibhu  Rishi wrote:
> Hi,
> Cheers for a great game !
>
> Are there any existing design docs for the game ? Where do I start
> looking for the algos and the techniques that go in making the game ?

See

  http://www.freeciv.org/contribute.html
  http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/freeciv_hackers_guide.txt

That's all there is, really, plus the code itself.  There is no
'design document' other than this 'hackers guide'.

The freeciv-dev list has a searchable archive; for specific
questions you are likely to find relevant discussions in there.

> 1) AI algorithms.

The AI code is hard to understand; it contains many unclear variables
and lots of heuristics established after playtesting.  The author
vanished from the project after completing the AI code 2 years ago.
Thue and others have cleaned it up a little.  But it works very well.

> 2) Client window design.

When the MUI and GTK clients were added next to the XAW client,
the GUI code was split into a common and specific part, but this
separation is not perfect (there could be more common code).

--
Reinier Post                                             reinpost@xxxxxxxxxx