Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: [watching the AI]

To: "Michael Kiermaier" <michael.kiermaier@xxxxxxx>, "Freeciv-Forum" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [watching the AI]
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:29:33 +0200

Den lør, 24 jun 2000 skrev Michael Kiermaier:
> Hello,
>
> after playing payciv 1 & 2 I was very amazed how strong the freeciv-AI plays
> in the early game. Now I have several questions:
>
> It would be very interesting to watch the AI.
> Is it possible to watch the game from the view of an AI-player?

Just toggle AI on yourself (if the AI's name is thue then "ai thue"). You can
also connect the client to an AI player

> Is it possible to watch the game from an omniscient point of view? (If yes,
> what must I do?)

Dead players see the whole map. To watch an all AI game just start a normal
game and disband all your units immediately.

> Can I start a demo game without a human player? How?

Well - create as many AI players as you want and start it :)

> I have read that the AI cheats in some way. Is this right? Can I disable
> cheating? What does the AI change when it cheats?

It often ignores known/unknown territory.
It can see which units is in a stack, also in cities.
I don't think it pays penalties for switching production between units and
buildings.
The hard AI is not limited by the government max rates.
In what will be 1.11 the AI ignores Fog of War.

All these are triviel compared to how the AI cheats in civ 1/2 and SMAC.

> Looking forward to your answers,
>

> michael

-Thue