Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Hi!

To: saxtouri@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Hi!
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:51:41 +0200

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 09:24:46PM +0300, Armeniwn wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > The XPM library (which provides X11/xpm.h) doesn't come with Solaris.
> > You may have to install it yourself, or tell ./configure where it is
> > installed.  I can explain to you how I installed XPM on Solaris if
> > you need me to.

Find the XPM sources.

Follow procedure in README.html.

Make sure to set environment to use Sun's commercial
cc (if you have it) and Sun's /usr/ccs/bin/make rather
than GNU cc and GNU make.  Don't link against MIT X11, if you have
it installed, link against Sun's own X in /usr/openwin.

(It probably works with many combinations of those, but this is just a
matter of keeping the installation clean.)

Put

  setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:$PATH

(or PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:$PATH; export PATH)
because the installation expects a BSD-like install utility.

Nuw issue

  xmkmf; make Makefiles includes depend; make

Do not type

    make install
    make install.man

but

    make DESTDIR=/usr/tuelocal/xpm-3.4k install
    make DESTDIR=/usr/tuelocal/xpm-3.4k install.man

(or wherever you want to install the library).

This will install into

    $DESTDIR/$OPENWINHOME/*

but it will create a superfluous usr/openwin subdir that can be
removed by hand.

Setting OPENWINHOME in order to install into the desired directory
doesn't work: $OPENWINHOME/bin/mkdirhier is used in the installation
procedure and it won't be found when $OPENWINHOME is changed.

In short, lots of hassle because the developers were lazy enough
to assume the installer is root and is willing to add to /usr/openwin.

After it's installed, make sure to point the software
using XPM to the right location.  In the above example,
Freeciv with take the flag

  --with-xpm=/usr/tuelocal/xpm-3.4k

BTW I've also compiled the GTK+ client on Solaris; installing
GTK+ with all the required libraries isn't any harder
than installing XPM, it's just much more work.

--
Reinier