Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: I must be stupid or something

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: I must be stupid or something
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:43:57 +0200

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 09:23:00PM -0700, Salvador Moreno wrote:
> Ok here is my problem.
>
> I start civserver then civclient I connect.  A screen comes up saying
> FreeCive "because civ...." then a  buton on the right says end  turn or
> something.  HOW DO I START THE GAME?  I have tried a lot of things like
> going up to GAME and I can't select  New or nothing like that.

You must connect to a server.  You can start your own.
This is all documented in many different places.

There are many ways in which Freeciv shows its Unix roots; one that has
to go is its ability to frustrate users on the first time they start it.

Why don't we add a .civclientrc variable 'first time user' and if set,
extend the client startup message to read 'you must connect to a server
to play, see Help->Connect for details'.  The traditional Unix answer
'read a minimum of documentation, like the Help menu, the README, or
the website, before you attempt to use an application' turns out
not to work for many users.

--
Reinier