Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: metaserver help

To: Paul Dean <pad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: metaserver help
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:35:38 -0500

At 2000/02/28 10:04 , Paul Dean wrote:
>The metaserver won't serve me.  One reason why would be if it uses
>port 80 for some reason.  Everything through port 80 on my hub has to
>go through a certain proxy and if not it just hangs.
>
>Would that be right?  If so how can I tell it to use a proxy?

From the README file:

2) If the Metaserver button in the connection dialog doesn't work,
   check if your ISP uses a mandatory WWW proxy and make civclient
   use it through the $http_proxy environment variable.  For instance,
   if the proxy is proxy.myisp.com port 8888, set $http_proxy
   to http://proxy.myisp.com:8888/ before starting the client.

jjm