Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: GNOME RH 6.0 and freeciv 1.9.0

To: <robertp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'freeciv list'" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: GNOME RH 6.0 and freeciv 1.9.0
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:09:31 -0500

At 2000/02/11 05:05 , Lalo Martins wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 09:52:35AM -0000, Robert Postill wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I have recently downloaded freeciv 1.9.0 and compiled it for my system.
>> However using Gnome and freeciv all the colours are messed up unless I
click
>> on the title bar, then for as long as I have the title bar selected the
>> colours are fine.  If I use FVWM (Ugh!) I get perfect colours all the time.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>Yes, you don't have enought colors. Try running X at 16bpp or
>24bpp.

We've tried very hard to keep the number of colors we use small.  Freeciv
does fit in 8bpp -- as long as nothing else is being a color hog.  (Only
one color hog at a time, and Freeciv is it.)

I've never run Gnome (I like FVWM ;-)  My question is:  Does Gnome itself
use lots of colors?  Or, are you perhaps running some other application
that is using lots of colors?  (E.g., if I run Netscape and Freeciv at the
same time, there aren't enough colors to go around at 8bpp.)

jjm