Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Another wonder

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Another wonder
From: "Michael C. Richardson" <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:33:12 -0500

    >> - Internet as a new wonder (requires networking)

    Tobias> I disagree :) Internet is _nothing_ but a lot of connected
    Tobias> networks.  So, let the settlers build intercity communication
    Tobias> lines, first cupper cables and when the fiberoptic tech is
    Tobias> researched, they can be upgraded to fiberoptic lines.

  The trick is that like Pyramids that are like Granaries in every city, the
Internet wonder is like CityNetwork's in every city.

  I'd say that you need a railroad between two cities before you can connect
them fiberoptically. Perhaps this should be better called the "Qwest Wonder":-)

    >> - Obsoletes Freenet/BBS worldwide

    Tobias> In addition to the intercity communication lines, a local access
    Tobias> network is needed.  So the POP/City Network is still needed.

  I really did mean Freenet's/BBSs. That's the first stage -- connect the
nerds.

    Tobias> so let an intercity connection be a trade bonus.  And then the
    Tobias> genious part; by broadcasting over a network, entertainment and
    Tobias> science produced in one city might be directly benefited in the
    Tobias> connected city.

  Aha, back to the MTV Wonder :-)

    Tobias> My suggestion is a bit complicated to explain, but I think that
    Tobias> the bonuses (trade bonuses minus tax losses) above should be
    Tobias> valid for the whole network.

    >> - Increases happiness caused by each Elvis by 5x

    Tobias> Why are you so concerned about your Elvixes?  If there is one
    Tobias> thing Internet can do it must be to remove the dependency at
    Tobias> local proffessional entertainment.  Like Elvixes.

  Because I think that it is too generous.
  I think that a "global culture" is actually harmful to productivity. It
makes people unhappy because they don't matter. Ask any Canuck or NZ how
they feel about "that big country next door"

    >> - Decreases trade by 5% (fraud)

    Tobias> Let it be a corruption "bonus".  But I disagree strongly.  Better

  Okay.

    Tobias> possibilities for anonymous communication doesn't increase the
    Tobias> chance for fraud itself. Anyone that thinks that a customer tell
    Tobias> somebody a number is good enough as authentication obviously have
    Tobias> had his brain too long in the microwave oven - regardless if the
    Tobias> number is delievered by internet, phone, fax, semaphor, telegraph
    Tobias> or personal contact.

    Tobias> Personally I've often used the net for buying stuff, but I've
    Tobias> never used or had a credit card, I've always done the payment
    Tobias> itself by other channels.

  That's just the thing: we smart people don't do it.

    >> New science: cryptography Permits: City: CA wonder. Negates fraud
    >> effect of Internet, and increases trade due to Internet by 50%. -
    >> decreases effectiveness of courthouse by 10%
    >>
    >> Wonder: X.509 wonder. Like a CA in every city.

    Tobias> I don't know ... maybe ... but .... I don't know...

  Perhaps I should have put the :-)
  X.509 doesn't solve the problem anyway. That's for another list.

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: <A
HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html";>mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>.
 PGP key available.