Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] dedicated server

To: deklown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] dedicated server
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:08:53 +0200

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 09:35:10PM -0500, Luke Skywalker wrote:
> i am running redhat 6.0 with 2.2.11 kernel, not knowing if these are
> variables, but anyhow, i just downloaded and installed the client and
> server, i am at work now and cant just yet run the client, for some reason

What did you 'download and install', a .rpm or the source?  Was it version
1.8.1?  The GTK client or the Xaw one?  What do you mean by "I can't run
the client", did it compile without errors, do you get error messages, if
you did, what were they?

> I coulnd't check the mailing list archives, not resolving

Yes, DNS change.

 -- it looks like

> q: can freeciv be run as a dedicated server?

Why does it?  (BTW, the answer to that is 'no', but Joe Pranevich has a
patch to introduce a GTK front end to the server, and others have created
graphical front ends, that make it somewhat easier to start games.
None of this is in the distribution yet.

--
Reinier