Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 1999:
[Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv FAQ question suggestion

To: brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: FreeCiv FAQ question suggestion
From: LucFrench@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:35:03 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/99 2:47:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>> What I mean by this is that this should be explicitly spelled out, along
with
>> the whys and hows, either in the FAQ, or in an easy to find spot on the
site.

>Reinier will add a new entry in the FAQ concerning your question.

Thanks. A link to http://www.freeciv.org/manual/game-21.html (Differences
between Civ2 and FreeCiv) would be nice. And now, for the meat of this email:

>> I'd be especially interested in knowing what the capacities of the "rule"
>> files are; can you achieve Civ2-like Scenarios with events that happen if
>> city is captured, on a particular turn, etc.?
>
>  The main difficulty here is that amonst us lot of people hasn't played
>  civ2. If you have some time, read the freeciv manual.

Will do. But what I mean by Civ 2 style scenarios is a programmable set of
events; for example, if a particular city is captured, then the guy capturing
it gets an extra tech. Or, on a particular turn, you (the scenario designer)
can cause a particular region to collapse beneath the sea. (They implemented
an Atlantis scenario this way.) If you want, I can rummage through Usenet to
find a post I made for the FreeMoM guy about this.

As for Alpha Centauri, the big thing is a new unit setup. There are two
methods of attack; psi, and physical. Psi combat always has the same
attack/defend value, 3/2, unless this is on water, in which case it's 1/1.
Physical combat is what's really interesting: you can design a unit from what
you've got. For example, you can equip a unit with lasers and ultra armor on
an infantry "chassy", for a 2/12/1 unit; or you could put that on a speeder
"chassy" for a 2/12/2 unit.

Both these would have to be implemented on the server side, as a Python or
Guile interpreter. (My sympathies are with the former; I really dislike Lisp,
but that's just me.) The client should be able to do something along the
lines of TK, if you really want to make things interesting. This would allow
an implementation of a real MoM clone (sans Tactical combat) in FreeCiv.
(It'd require a large amount of tuning and restructuring of what is and isn't
FreeCiv, but if it leads to a more generic program, I'm all for it.)

I can't speak for CTP; but you can find that on Linux, so it should be easier
to respond to.

Thanks
Luc "(Turing) Completeness Counts" French