Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] Client-side API

To: Tessa Lau <tlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Client-side API
From: bonjf <bonjf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 02:18:57 +0100

Tessa Lau wrote

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning on using Freeciv in a class I'll be teaching.  I'd like to get
> teams of people to write AIs for a complex multiplayer game, and Freeciv
> seems like a good match.

I have also used freeciv in my class this year: it was a success !
My students level was not the same as yours. My courses was mainly a initiation
to computer programming.
But the game attraction helps me to teach them the bases of:
* unix (bash/tar/gzip/install/compilation/GUI-multiwindows)
* C compilation/programmation (they had to modify themselves the code of  their
own copies of freeciv, and most of them went into the game of "my freeciv is or
looks better than yours")
* Network programming: how it works (in a general point of view)

Mainly my lessons were like: "you can do that and that - theoretically. Now try
to find where it is coded in freeciv, and modify it your own way."
And, very important: "the quicker you do your changes, the longer you have time
to play with it !"

To be honest, not all the students where completely involve in it (like it is
always the case when you have to teach unix, C, GUI and networks to beginners
students). But the rate of learning was far more important this year. Sure: I
will keep freeciv as a *very* efficient teaching tool for the next years !

Jeff