Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1998:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to allow more : on chatline

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to allow more : on chatline
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:39:37 +0100

> What about if a message is treated as global if ':' is the
> first non-whitespace character?

Fine with me.

> Then at least you can
> specify that a message is global if you know you're going
> to put more ':' in there.
>
> Do you know the point of the current check that if ':' is
> preceeded immediately by space then the message is global?

Well, 'foo: withdraw!' and 'foo:withdraw!' are likely to be used
for private messages; 'foo :withdraw' is not.  Too many messages
are treated as private to nonexistent players.  This is an easy
way to rrule out a particular category.

> Is this just a way to "escape" ':', or is there something more?
>
> Or maybe I should just apply your patch as is, and we can
> worry about spaces in names (and longer names) later...

I would appreciate if you applied at least the handchat.c patch.

--
Reinier