Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] An illustrated freeciv game

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] An illustrated freeciv game
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:37:52 +1100

John Goerzen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 05:25:18PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > A related question: can we agree on a MIME type for .sav files,
>
> If you want a MIME type, you need a more unique extension.  Lots of programs
> use .sav.

A MIME type does not have to be associated with a specific
extension.

If a file is sent as a MIME attachment, then any extension
is irrelevant, since the type is evident from the MIME envelope.
It's only once that file has been stored on disk, sans the
envelope, that an operating system might use an extension to
work out what to do with it.

Having said that, .sav might not be the best extension.  But
it's also hard to think of a better one either... :-(

Regards,

Mitch.
--
| mailto:mjd@xxxxxxxxxx       | Not the official view of: |