Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] Really basic question

To: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Really basic question
From: lex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:51:55 -0500 (EST)

Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> lex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > While we're on beginner's questions, let me throw in mine.
> >
> > How the heck do you start up a game?!
> >
> > I've figured it out new.
>
> Dear Lex,
>
> Take a look at the README file.  Are the instructions in there
> adequate?  Do they explain what you need to know?  If not, let
> us know how it could be improved.  Or better still, rewrite it
> so it's clearer so we can include it in the next release!

In short:  duh, you're right.  It's stated pretty explicitly in there.  And it
even tells how to name the AIs, instead of using "set aifill=x".

However, for all my page-sorting, I never read that part of README.  Perhaps a
pointer should be made from the HOWTOPLAY document to the README file?

        First, follow the instructions in the README file to compile and
        freeciv and learn to start a game.

        Then, after you've gotten it running, you'll want to play your first
        few games.  It is recommended...

Am I the only moron, though, who didn't get it?  It's not worth changing if so.

Overall, this is a great game, even aside from the pricetag.  Don't take my
whining too seriously!

Lex