Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: March 2002:
[FreeCiv-Java] JFreeciv experiences

To: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] JFreeciv experiences
From: Ben Hutchison <ben_hutchison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:44:01 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am a java developer and civilisation fan, and I just discovered jfreeciv
tonight. I downloaded the latest source and binary for the client, and thought
id send back my experiences:

1. source snapshot wouldnt build by default with Ant because its missing empty
directory "java_po". added dir and it built ok.

2. The binary ran fine first time from windows explorer (jdk1.4, win98), and
connected ok to a civ 1.12 server. However, I saw some problems with graphics
that made the game unplayable:
  a) Cant access city screen at all
  b) Cant see units not on top of the stack
  c) fog of war not clearing when units move around

...and also, a question: Jfreeciv interfaces to freeciv at the network protocol
level. How often does the freeciv packet format or protocol change? Is this a
headache when developing the client?

...and a suggestion: add a way to view stderr/stdout from the GUI, for windows
users starting from explorer to see stack traces. (I suspect it may be throwing
background exceptions Im not seeing).

Nice work. Ill keep playing around with it.

Regards
Ben