Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: May 2000:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: Status of Java Freeciv 1.10.0 (long)

To: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Status of Java Freeciv 1.10.0 (long)
From: Brian Duff <bduff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 11:07:00 +0100

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> Sorry to say this after you already have writting this, but JDK supports
> XPM by default, in same way it does for gif or jpg - just use default
> Toolkit for it :)

D'oh! I should have tried that first :)

> > I need to pull the original code from
> > CVS and compare the map rendering speeds to see whether it's something
> > I've done. Maybe need to use an offscreen buffer.
>
> One note here - make sure you are lloking at map after getting all
> terrain packets from server. As map is drawn during net traffic (at
> least it was in original version) it sometimes looked like it was
> drawing tile by tile - but it was in fact one by one update from net
> packets, not slowness of rendering itself.

Hmm, but I'm running a server on the same machine, so the socket overhead
shouldn't be this slow (unless Java sockets are really inefficient). I'm
thinking that maybe my moving the server packet handler to a different thread
might be part of the problem; whenever I receive a tile info packet, I have to
create a new Runnable to invoke on the UI thread if the map is going to get
updated. I'll need to have another look at this.

Cheers,

Brian