Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: May 2000:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: Status of Java Freeciv 1.10.0 (long)

To: Freeciv Java <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Status of Java Freeciv 1.10.0 (long)
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:53:06 +0200

Brian Duff wrote:

> o Wrote a quick XPM parser and an XPMImageIcon class which is a Swing
> ImageIcon representing an XPM image. I probably ought to use an external
> library to do this, but the parser is pretty swift. Tested this with
> numerous client images from both engels and trident tilesets and
> intro.xpm etc. Added support for creating an XPMImageIcon for a
> specified area of an XPM image.

Sorry to say this after you already have writting this, but JDK supports
XPM by default, in same way it does for gif or jpg - just use default
Toolkit for it :)

> I need to pull the original code from
> CVS and compare the map rendering speeds to see whether it's something
> I've done. Maybe need to use an offscreen buffer.

One note here - make sure you are lloking at map after getting all
terrain packets from server. As map is drawn during net traffic (at
least it was in original version) it sometimes looked like it was
drawing tile by tile - but it was in fact one by one update from net
packets, not slowness of rendering itself.

As far as offscreen buffer is concerned, I think that swing does this by
default.

Artur