Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: December 1998:
[FreeCiv-Java] Release 0.005!

To: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Release 0.005!
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:28:55 -0600

Call your friends, your psychiatrist, and the Today Show!  There's another
CivClient-Java version out there, at http://software.complete.org/freeciv !

I finally have managed to find some time to hack on the code.

Here are the changes since 0.004:

 * The PacketDispatcher now has its own thread, as per Esben's suggestion.

 * There is now a Connect box, similar to the normal civclient (so you
   can connect to places other than localhost and pick your name!)

 * A lot of code has been moved out of CivClient.java and into other,
   more appropriate, places.

One bug that I haven't been able to figure out the solution for yet, is that
the connect box comes up behind the game messages box, so it's hidden unless
you move the messages box out of the way.

Things on the slate for the immediate future:

 * Implement the race selection (start of game)
 * Add menus
 * Metaserver connectivity perhaps

Esben, you had some good ideas on a re-org of code.  If you get a chance,
please make a diff from this code and I'll apply it.

Also, it's about time to start hacking on a map class, unit classes, etc.
and hash out how all this will be laid out.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org