Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: May 2006:
[freeciv-i18n] msgmerge or, don't shoot yourself in your knee

To: Freeciv I18n <freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] msgmerge or, don't shoot yourself in your knee
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 13:41:53 +0200

I have just finished the translation of 2.1 Beta complete and wanted to
continue with 2.1.99 trunk. Of course I followed the instructions on

http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Localization#How_to_keep_two_branches_in_sync

for the sake of reuse my translations for beta with the development version.
And started wondering why

make de.pox
msgfmt -v -c --stat  de.pox

displayed so many missing and fuzzy translations. I got more sceptic while I
found fuzzy strings that I have had translated just recently for the beta.

So. The wiki suggests to do

  make freeciv.pot; msgmerge --compendium=PATH no.po freeciv.pot -o no.pox

that is, for my setup (freeciv is trunk, v21 is beta):

chris@karl:~/freeciv/svn/freeciv/po$ msgmerge --compendium=../../v21/po/de.po
de.po freeciv.pot -o de.pox

This way, the compendium is the finished po file from the previous version.

This is *wrong*.

Then I swapped compendium and current file:

chris@karl:~/freeciv/svn/freeciv/po$ msgmerge -v -v -N --compendium=de.po
../../v21/po/de.po  freeciv.pot -o de.pox

and ended up with no more than about 30 missing or fuzzy strings.

Christian *going to update the wiki*