Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#20534) FREECIV_DATA_PATH, ${prefix}, and $datadir

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#20534) FREECIV_DATA_PATH, ${prefix}, and $datadir
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 00:17:42 -0700

Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> I thought I sent this patch already but I can't find it.  Anyway, it
> needs to be committed to all branches that have configure.ac for freeciv
> to sucessfully work with recent versions of autoconf.  Read the autoconf
> manual for more.

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_chapter/autoconf_4.html#SEC24

"Most of these variables have values that rely on prefix or exec_prefix.
It is deliberate that the directory output variables keep them
unexpanded: typically `@datadir@' will be replaced by `${prefix}/share',
not `/usr/local/share'."

Thus #define just defines it as ${prefix}/share/freeciv.  But by using
cflags the expansion is done at compile time, not configure time.  Thus
you can give a different prefix on the "make" line.

-jason