Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: General guidelines

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: General guidelines
From: c99djo@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:02:35 +0200

Quoting Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>:

> c99djo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I've recently discovered freeciv and decided to participate in the
> development.
> >
> > While reading the post from the dev maillist, it struck me that a document
> > containing generall guidelines did not exist, while
> coding/hacking/patching
> > guidelines did.
> >
> > So, how do I define "general guidelines"? I'm not sure :), but I can
> exemplify
> > it from the discussion about norse/viking, with the paraphrase: "We should
> use
> > norse, as freeciv is meant to educate."
> >
> > Am I being _too_ intrested in formalism---is this document really
> necessary? Or
> > have enough changes been commited to the svn tree, that general guidelines
> is
> > the next step?
>
> Having an "introduction to freeciv development" document would be a
> useful thing.  It needs to be something interesting enough for people to
> actually read it.

If people would fall asleep while reading, we would've solved the insomnia
problem at least ;)

Seriously, I really agree with you and I think "Introduction to Freeciv
Development" is a much better document name. Regarding the content, the first
thing to do, in my opinion, is to start somewhere and bear in mind while
writing that the reader shouldn't be bored. Below, my humble attempt can be
seen (and I want to emphasize that it's only an initial suggestion of a layout
and content).

* INTRODUCTION
   bla bla?

* OVERALL GOALS
   The game development should strive towards educate its players, and be as
historically correct as possible, while still mainting the highest degree of
playbility and addictness.
   In this section, results from discussions of various topics are collected to
give you a hint of how the above goals are actualised.

   * Nations *
      A "Viking" nation is not historically correct, whereas Norse is.

   * ????? *
      bla bla

* ?nottomanyofthesetomakeitboring? *

--