Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#18573) Editor: change city name

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#18573) Editor: change city name
From: "Egor Vyscrebentsov" <evyscr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:40:59 -0700

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:41:02 -0700
Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:
> > Attached patch allows to change city name in edit mode for editing
> > connection.
> > (I use editor as global observer and think that this is the best way
> > for editing scenario.)
> > No changes for gtk client made, so I think it still does not allow
> > global observer to be good editor.
> > Patch was tested in xaw client, with two another patches (enabling
> > edit mode in xaw client and "None" palette in editor tools [which
> > means map clicking works as in regular game].)
>
> But you don't have to be in editor mode to change city names.  The only
> change is in editor mode you can edit *anyone's* city name, not just
> your own.  A new packet should not be needed.

I tried to make it this way first.
Several moments:
- PACKET_CITY_RENAME should be allowed for non-player connection in edit
mode and disallowed otherwise. (This will perplex handle_packet_input().)
- PACKET_CITY_RENAME is handle_per_player, while handle_per_conn is needed.
- Wouldn't it be better to have all edit_mode-related things in edithand.c?

> > PS Why `svn diff` does not ignore *_gen.[ch]?
> The _gen files have to be in SVN, otherwise people would need python
> to compile the code.

Well, I mean another thing: these files are in diff_ignore. Can I ask svn
to skip these files while doing `svn diff` (by using diff_ignore)?

--
Thanks, evyscr