Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GNU FDL

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GNU FDL
From: "Guillaume Melquiond" <guillaume.melquiond@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:18:09 +0200

On 2006/6/30, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>> Can we use pictures licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
>> in Freeciv?
>
> No and yes.
>
> The GFDL, incredibly, is incompatible with the GPL because it has some very
> bad clauses about obfuscation being illegal.  So GFDL and GPL bits cannot be
> mixed together.

As long as the parts under the GFDL are interpreted by (another) program,
and not linked in to form a part of the program, there is no conflict.

Does Debian still refuse to distribute GFDL components?

"still" is not right: until now, GFDL components were tolerated, since
it was not clear whether they were "free" or not. But a general
resolution was voted at the beginning of this year and now the
situation is clearer. As a consequence, in the next Debian release,
GFDL-licensed works _with unmodifiable sections_ will be excluded from
the main distribution. These works will still be available, however,
in Debian non-free section.

Best regards,

Guillaume