Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GNU FDL

To: Daniel Markstedt <markstedt@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GNU FDL
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:49:05 -0400

Daniel Markstedt wrote:
Quick question:

Can we use pictures licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
in Freeciv?

No and yes.

The GFDL, incredibly, is incompatible with the GPL because it has some very bad clauses about obfuscation being illegal. So GFDL and GPL bits cannot be mixed together.

However it is possible to include GFDL files within the freeciv distribution, so long as we make clear which file is under which licence. This is perhaps not a good idea since it's not clear to me that the GFDL even qualifies as an open-source licence (according to debian, for intance).

IANAL; the above is just my understanding. The best solution is to get the author to dual-licence the picture.

-jason