Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#18113) caravan with no homecity crashes server

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#18113) caravan with no homecity crashes server
From: "Egor Vyscrebentsov" <evyscr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:23:30 -0700

Good daytime!

If one load a .sav file which contain caravan with no homecity, server
will crash next turn. Problem is that aicore caravan code assume that
caravan always has homecity, and server does not check for this when
load a game. Also, it seems to me that editor allows to create caravan
without homecity.
I'm not sure who own this bug: server, editor, or both.

There are several ways to fix this behavior, so I want to listen which
is better [before try to make a patch]:
1. Disallow caravans with no homecity, reject a game if it has them.
2. Allow caravan with no homecity to change it once. Until changing
caravan could not provide caravan bonuses/help building wonders.
3. Something else? (Removing caravans totally is not a way for me.)

[Chosing second variant needs to answer several additional questions in
AI part.]

Bug was discovered while dancing with manually converted civ2 scenario.

Scenario:
http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=7a554b98

Related forum topic on Apolyton:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151840&perpage=25&pagenumber=4