Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#17778) Global production

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#17778) Global production
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasco.costa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:02:26 -0700

When you have a lot of cities, we keep doing the same stuff over and over.

IMO having one build queue per city and lots of cities is annoying.
Constant fiddling and tweaking per queue, to keep all queues working to not
lose shields.

MoM's spells provided an alternative.
There was a single resource pool. Some spells used a single movable spawn
point (magic circle), some were click a tile, others were global.

To me our problem spawns from Civilization's insistence of making cities like
city-states. As the game progresses, the number of cities rises exponentially
and it gets increasingly bothersome to manage it all.

I have been thinking about this problem for a long time and this is the solution
I came up with:

Split military production (units) from social production (libraries, etc)

There are two global production pools, one for military, another for social.
All shields go into these global pools.

e.g. Let's say you want to build a Cathedral on your capital.

You go to the global social production menu, select Cathedral, then click
on the capital in the main map.

e.g. Let's say you want to cancel production.

You go to the global social production report list, select the item and
delete.

This is somewhat akin to casting Wall of Fire spells on MoM.

We could do the same thing for units.

To me this makes more sense. i.e. why must the resources for building
a library come from the benefited city? In the real world that is not
necessarily the case. Or, must I have high production of steel in an
Alaskan city to build an oil platform in there? Must I have a triving city
in the middle of the desert before I start building Las Vegas?

Note: Having this means we would not need caravans for wonders anymore.

In short: there would be a single global shield pool. But there would still be
one spawn point per city.

It may be necessary to throttle back the production rate of the player by
some other method though. Per suggested having a limit of items per city
per turn you can build. This is similar to what we have now.

--
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa