Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17772) Rapture growth balancing

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17772) Rapture growth balancing
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:01:39 -0700

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Curtis Warren wrote:
> Why do you think disabling rapture will help anything?

It will help make other strategies that the currently dominant one viable.

See eg http://www.mo1.dk/blog/freeciv.html

> Sure, rapturing is powerful, but this goes along with the entire premise
> of the game--growth is power. Even if you remove rapture, you're still
> going to have the growth show down, just in slow motion.

Of course.

But that is like arguing against making the invincible Superman unit less
good, because that just goes along with the entire premise of the game --
you need military units to win, and you are still going to have military
units, just more of them ...

> I actually think civ handled this quite nicely; rapture was kept in
> check through happiness, in that it was virtually impossible to go
> strait to republic and rapture. This happened to have the side effect
> that monarchy was actually used quite a bit.

The happiness settings varied depending on the difficulty setting.

If you think the default happiness settings are bad, please tell us why
and how it should be.

   - Per