Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#17741) Client does not handle input with timeout -1

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#17741) Client does not handle input with timeout -1
From: "Andreas Røsdal" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:56:14 -0700

Hello!

When timeout is set to -1, the game no longer handles input from
keyboard or mouse, and is effectively frozen. The same problem occurs
when time timeout is set too low, so the phase where units are moved
around between turns takes longer than the timeout. I think that I have
also seen this when my players gets killed, and there is only AI players
remaining. The only solution to this is to kill the client and server.

The game should be forgiving towards user-settings, and allow them to be
undone. Prioritize handling user-input over everything else. I started
making a patch, handling outstanding GTK events in gui_flush(), but it
reduced performance and framerates, so I have no suggested solution
right now.

Reproducible with the Gtk+2 client in 2.0, 2.1 and the latest SVN version.

  Andreas