Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] more considerations about trade routes

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] more considerations about trade routes
From: Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 08:43:04 -0300

In a recent exchange Peter Schaefer said that the main problem of the trade routes system is micro management.

I agree. And I think that this can be solved viewing the problem from an inverse perspective.

In the real world, trade is a spontaneous conduct of people. They dont need to be directed by governments in order to trade each other. Instead, the function of government is to obstaculize trade (think in customs, customs duty, protectionism, taxes, etc). When two governments celebrate a free exchange pact, a commercial agree, etc, they are not impelling trade, but they are establishing exceptions to the obstaculizations themself impose.

So ¿why, instead of leave a system in which we, the players, must act in order to establish trade routes, they instead are created spontaneously unless we obstaculize them? This alternative only takes from us the establishment of the degree of customs duty and of customs control, with the benefits for the government of more tax revenues, at the cost of less trade.

¿what do you think?

Martin