Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: some observations about trade system

To: "Martin Olveyra" <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: some observations about trade system
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:05:01 +0200

On 4/20/06, Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think that the trade system is opposite to what it should be.
>
> 1) The trade routes between cities have more effect when the cities are
> farer, and less effect when they are nearer. In reality, the trade
> between near cities tends to be bigger, because the costs of transportation.

Well, the system is supposed to reward the player for his work. In the
real world, exactly because trade between distant areas is difficult,
it is a rewarding business once established. Also the effect that
close cities wil have many trade routes is not without parallels in
freeciv, since when you are in a hurry to make use of extra caravans,
you will establish routes between cities on your little continent

> 2) The technology Trade has the requirement of Currency. But in reality
> the trade originated currency. And currency is an invention to improve
> trade.

Well, but having currency makes trade more effective, so it only
becomes relevant after currency has been established ;-)

> I think that if you change both things the game improves in balance and
> gives more importance to trade routes.

C'mon ;-)

3) The real problem with trade routes is that it takes too much time
to micromanage their establishment, especially in online multiplayer
games.