Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#16526) Beta1: Metaserver bugs

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#16526) Beta1: Metaserver bugs
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:44:12 -0700

SVN 2.1 19 APR 2006 GTK2

Enhencement of previous bug reports

First of all a wild guess: somethings got broken while fixing
http://rt.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=15803

Other related reports:
http://rt.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=15867 (with backtrace)
http://rt.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=15035

1. Internet access via router/gateway

  No metaserver output is displayed. From netstat I get the impression that
  no attempt is made to load data. No error message is given, not even with
  civclient -d 3

2. Proxy on the gateway, http_proxy set accordingly

  No metaserver output is displayed. The proxy logs the access to the
  metaserver. I have to note, that the proxy is partly broken, but in the
  cases listed here wwwoffle did not give any errors.

  curl http://meta.freeciv.org/metaserver.phtml works OK here.

  Pressing 'reload' has no effect, even after minutes. wwwoffle does not
  show page accesses.

3. direct access and trying to switch off the proxy

  When http_proxy is set in the environement, and I start Freeciv like this:

  env http_proxy= civclient -d 3

  which is the recommended way to deactivate the proxy access according to
  our FAQ, civclient displays: 'error in http_proxy or metaserver', on the
  status line. It does not recognise that http_proxy is empty and not to be
  used.

4. Trying to change the metaserver

  civclient -m does not seem to work. It sets the metaserver for civserver,
  the client does not use it.

  It is not possible to change the metaserver when starting a network game.
  You cannot access the civclient setting until you start a local game,
  change the variable in the options menue, save. Leaving the game and go to
  network game page is *not* sufficient at this point. You have to restart
  civclient.

5. Using another metaserver

  After changing the metaserver for the client (above), accessing the
  network game page stops civclient immediately. Console says:

  0: Did not find token entry_name in (null) line 1

  For the metaserver, I put up a metaserver.phtml lookalike HTML page on a
  local apache. The apache log reports the complete page sent.

Christian