Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] I just want to generate hexmaps...

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] I just want to generate hexmaps...
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:29:23 -0400 (AST)

Hi, I am looking to use the FreeCiv map-generator to generate non-iso hexmaps.

I tried to just rip out the generator sub-directory from the server directory then add in whatever header files it wanted to compile but it looks like that would be a lot more work than would using the actual server itself via external commands.

So, I tried to find out what commands to give the server to get it to generate and save a map.

Simply setting the size and topology and issuing a save command did not work - the resulting save file did not contain a map.

Basically I just want it to generate the map and save it. But I am not sure how to tell the server to go ahead and start a game without any players (is that what autogame does or does even autogame require a client?)

I also looked at the README for the map editor tool but it looks like that does not generate maps it just edits them?

Once I have the savegame I will end up reading it into some other format, basically I am looking to use FreeCiv's map-generator because it is the nicest one I have found and it seemed likely to be easier to use an existing one than to start a whole map-generating project from scratch.

-MarkM- http://www.knotwork.com/~markm/