Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15169) cannot claim my own island - cannot found c

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15169) cannot claim my own island - cannot found cities in enemy borders
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:05:28 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>This patch allows founding of cities within enemy borders.
>

> I'm not sure this is a good idea. The city will most likely end up with
> very few or no tiles to work, since they are owned by the enemy player
> still.
>
> Enemy controlled territory is no place for civilians.

Good point.  But, there has to be some way to take new lands other than
just by conquering cities.  In the above example the tiles were on my
peninsula and would never be used by the enemy.  But there was no way I
could take them without invading across the water.  Yeah this happened
because of a bug with continents but with peninsulas we could have been
on the same continent and it would have been the same result.

-jason