Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14923) Stupid AI Building Wants

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14923) Stupid AI Building Wants
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:48:04 -0800

On 1/8/06, Per I. Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Benedict Adamson wrote:
> > The computation of building_want by the AI is questionable in some cases.

Did you see the spreadsheet I posted on the forums?
I have received no negative criticisms of it (no good either :-P)

> > The AI ignores the upkeep cost when computing want; arguably this is
> > more important than the production cost.
>
> Only if you have a problem with attaining sufficient gold income.

Well, I think gold is worth about 0.5 shields because usualy one has
to pay at least twice the remaining shields, and is buying often in
smallpox. I guess this cost also depends on some server setting which
I don't know by heart. It also depends on whether one has lots of
upkeep and if that is the reason for a low science rate, or the
rushing is. I have no idea how one would take this into account since
the AI is pretty brutal about jacking the science rate up and down.

--Peter