Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14842) Carthaginian flag

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14842) Carthaginian flag
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 06:57:51 -0800

I found a Carthage mod for Civ4 using a rather nice looking banner:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=139107

So I PM'ed the author about it and he answered:

" Re: Carthage flag
Hey Daniel

The symbol of Tanit was all over Carthage and used for more than a
thousand years.

Here's a stonecarving with both Tanit and Baal symbols.
http://www.supphoto.com/album-gallery/tunisia/carthage/picture/stele.jpg

Here's a quote from About.com
Quote:
This symbol is found on many ancient stonecarvings, and represents the
Goddess Tanit. Tanit was the Carthaginian and Phoenician Goddess of the
moon. Tanit was the Patron of Carthage and the consort of Baal. She may
have been related to the goddess Astarte/Ishtar.

Wikipedia with a similar reference
Quote:
Tanit was a Carthaginian lunar goddess. A consort of Baal, she was the
Patron of Carthage. She may have been related to the Phoenician goddess
Astarte (Ishtar). She is also a Berber goddess.

Her sign, a symbol found on many ancient stonecarvings, appears
primitively as a trapezium closed by a horizontal line at the top and
surmounted in the middle by a circle (the horizontal arm was often
terminated either by two short upright lines at right angles to it or
by hooks.) Later, the trapezium was frequently replaced by an isosceles
triangle.

It is fair that there are other symbols to consider, but I don't
believe any other symbol showed up as much as the Tanit symbol in
ancient Carthage.

The colors of the flag are merely to differentiate it from the other
Civilizations, but I don't believe there are any other symbols that
really represent Carthage as much as the Tanit symbol.

And I didn't know about FreeCiv, I'll have to check it out.

Happy Holidays,
Matt"

Attached is my Freeciv flag on the same theme, using the colors of our
Phoenician flag.

-Daniel

PNG image

PNG image