Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14788) Classic/Tolkien/Graphite tileset

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14788) Classic/Tolkien/Graphite tileset
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 06:45:33 -0800

I've compiled a working tileset based on maubp's Tolkien style map
tiles, combined with units and cities from HiRes. If I may say it
myself, the results are pretty cool.

This version is HEAD compatible, based on ChaosE's 2.0 compatible
package. Some element are borrowed from Trident and Amplio.

On naming: The original author maubp called his work "Classic" while
ChaosE renamed it "Tolkien". I'm calling it "Graphite" because of the
pencil sketch qualities of the tiles. Other suggestions are welcome.

TODO:

• Roads, railroads, irrigation and farmland looks like s**t, as does
the unit selection sprite.
• Specials sprites are a mixed bag; some needs to be "cleaned up".
• City sprites are four pixels too wide and twelve pixels too short. I
hid the "missing" lower part with the city bar and the overflowing four
pixels are not very visible, so it doesn't look that bad actually.
• Several unit sprites overlaps into neighboring sprites and have to be
adjusted.
• Some more high res elements should be borrowed from Amplio (e.g. the
number sprites).
• City style specific wall sprites could be extracted but it's a chore
because of the difference between non-iso and iso city walls. Is there
a workaround for this? For now all cities use the "Fortress" sprite as
wall.... which makes sense in a way.
• We could borrow a few more city styles from Ft tileset.

See the forum thread for a screenshot:
http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=109

Disclaimer:
This is the first time I attempt to work with a tileset and I might
very well have screwed something up.

Give it a spin and let me know what you think!

-Daniel