Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14668) Cleanup of the flags spec files

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14668) Cleanup of the flags spec files
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:41:50 -0800

> [jdorje - Thu Nov 24 05:55:14 2005]:
>
> Jason Short wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> >

> >>I didn't know that. 2.0.99 is looking more and more like Freeciv 3.0 :-)
> >>
> >>Then we have no need for pseudo sprites like 'f.holland' for backward
> >>compatibility either?
> >

> > There is no backwards compatibility of network protocol.  There is
> > backwards compatibility of savegames.  2.1 will also break
compatibility
> > of tilesets.
> >
> > So...I'm not sure.
>
> There is no need to keep graphics in the main tilesets for non-existent
> nations.  However keeping graphics in place for nations that are only in
> modpacks is a good idea.
>
> -jason

Do you mean for example 'united_nation', 'rwanda', 'pakistan' etc? What
about those 'alternative' flags I mentioned: 'constantine' and
'stpatrick'? They aren't used by any nation and won't ever be (unless we
implement a system for players to pick the flag for their nation in
pregame.)

What if a modpack author ask us to commit 20+ flags to the main tileset
for his/her project? More importantly, do we have a way for modpacks to
load their own set of flags without editing the main flag specs?

Anyway, I'd like to commit the cleanup changes mentioned initially in
this ticket, without removing anything for now. Plus changes to
comments; expand them in flags.spec and removing them from shields.spec
(unnecessary to maintain two identical sets of comments). See patch.

-Daniel