Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14633) FREECIV_PATH and savegame loading

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14633) FREECIV_PATH and savegame loading
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:44:30 -0800

> [chrisk - Sat Nov 19 11:14:11 2005]:
>

> SVN HEAD 19 NOV 2005 GTK2
>
> If FREECIV_PATH is set, savegames are still saved in $HOME/.freeciv/saves,
> but expected to load from somewhere else ($HOME?).
>
> Worse, trying to load them with the file selection dialog fails,
because it
> is not possible to select dir ".freeciv" from there, neither by mouse
click
> nor by textual input.

Hmm.  AFAICT FREECIV_PATH has nothing to do with saving and loading
location.  Vasco would know better though.

> BTW I think saving save games in a (sub dir of a) hidden directory is
not so
> good, because it can grow big and because some linux users won't find it.
> I'd prefer "freecivgames" or something else instead.

I think it varies by platform.  For linux, using a hidden directory is
the standard followed by most programs AFAICT.  For windows, it should
go in a non-hidden directory inside the documents folder.  And for macos...?

-jason