Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14522) Hotseat mode

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14522) Hotseat mode
From: "Andreas Røsdal" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:42:41 -0800

Mateusz Stefek wrote:

>>I have a feature request: hotseat mode.
>>
>>Since there is simultaneousphases,  implementing hotseat should not be
>>too
>>difficult. A single client could alternate between non-AI players, so
>>many people can play turns on the same PC.
>>
>Just use /take command when you change player

There are some things needed to make hotseat gameplay more playable:

-Alternating between players aften turn done should be automatic, not
through the /take command. Using /take every turn is not practical or
very user-friendly for long games.
-There should be a screen shown after each player's turn, to prevent
revealing information about players/maps.
-Setting up the game should allow you to create hotseat players. For
example, Wesnoth has a nice dedicated hotseat game setup screen.
-Preveting cheating. Possibly password protecting access to players.
Currently, using /take will allow you to cheat almost undetected.
-Saving and loading should preserve hotseat games.

A better hotseat mode will also allow/improve a "play by email"-mode.

Andreas R.