Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14444) find city and center map

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14444) find city and center map
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:19:15 -0700

Christian Knoke wrote:

> SVN HEAD 24 OCT 2005 GTK2
>
> When you use find city to center a city on the map, and continue playing
> while the find dialog is still open, the map is shifted (back) at the time
> you close the dialog later on.

Yes, I find the new find-city dialog-as-a-tab behavior to be annoying.
But I can't really suggest anything better.

The original intent is that the dialog would be modal.  When the user
pops it up it centers on whatever city is clicked on.  When closing it
the original tile is recentered.

However this doesn't work at all in tabbed mode.  For one thing a city
is always chosen so a city must always be centered.  Then when closing
it you really need it to go back to the original tile...but since it's
not modal (nothing in freeciv multiplayer can be modal, since Stuff can
happen at any time) there might have been other actions in the meantime.

Maybe the best choice is to not make anything be "actively" centered.
Only when double-clicking on a city is that city centered.  And closing
the dialog does nothing.

-jason