Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fantasy nations in contrib/nations

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fantasy nations in contrib/nations
From: Peter Schaefer <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:44:19 +0200

On 10/21/05, Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wouldn't it suffice to conform to the copyright laws of the country
> where the servers hosting us is located?
>
> Daniel

Probably not, since
a) lots of different servers are involved in hosting freeciv
b) there are all kinds of international agreements for copyright

This,
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/bparchive?year=2001&post=2001-01-18$3
states that the copyright on Tolkien LoTR expires in 2051 (thanks to
the Disney copyright term extension act)

I don't quite understand why a set of names is worthy protection, but
apparently character names may be protected:

http://www.whoosh.org/issue25/lee1.html#2

AFAICS from there, it is safe to use character and city names that no
one remembers, but the prominent ones are off-limits.