Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fantasy nations in contrib/nations

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fantasy nations in contrib/nations
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:09:20 +0200

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:42:05PM +0200, Daniel Markstedt wrote:

> Tolkien-derived work is big business these days...
>
> "Frodo Baggins", "Sauron" etc are indeed trademarked, but only for use
> on printed matter, toys etc. Ought to fall under 'Fair use' in Freeciv.

It's about trademarks *and* copyright. For example, if an author of a book
invents a complex fantasy nation, then not a single name, but the whole set
of names, landscapes, and goodies may very well be copyrighted.

Copyright also is big (political) business these days. It's going to change.
And it's difficult because we need to go conform with copyright law of *any*
state.

Christian